So I was perousing my LastFM account to notice that it actually does show my favourite bands in proper order or maybe it's just reflectin my tunes that I feel like ATM, yeah that makes sense, but eitherwho my top track was RHCP's Pretty Little Ditty and I was like HOT DAMN! I love that track, supposedly it was meant to be long but got cut down to under a minute at the last second...I call bullshittery!
John doesn't play as soulful as that again until By The Way, ...concidently I'm listening to Don't Forget Me, epic! I've heard it a thousand times and I'll never get sick of it! the solo always grabs me no matter what I'm doin in total 'MR. ICE CREAM MAN!!!' style. But as usual when it came to Chilis finally coming back round to Scotland, did they play it? did they fuck! We got 'So Much I' and a fuckin 30 minute jam instead...Thanks RHCP!
Since we're on the subject of Chilis - My copy of BTW and the Fortune Faded single arrived today but! Kinda let down with BTW's appearance in the end...I always see that album is really I dunno, sophisticated? for the chilis a lot of songs just have real depth and melody which they had in smatterings in other albums but not to the same extent before or after. The front cover is apparently a photoshopped painting or photo or something of JFs girlfriend at the time...his now ex girlfriend, thats gotta suck. I wouldnt say it struck me as being particularly amazing but it suits the feel of the music. Although the rest of it just looks so cheap and run-down, the printing is kinda shabby too onto this weird card-like booklet which has 'RHCP' on it and a lamb??? (symbolism?) whatever, the lyrics are printed all across a photo of the guys but in this small almost unreadable pink font which kind've defeats the point of having them in there but enough of my quibbles... Don't Forget Me/Throw Away Your Television/Midnight/Venice Queen etc. Its a great album!
The Fortune Faded single has the title track, with the b'sides Bunker Hill and Eskimo on it! Recorded during the 'Greatest Hits' sessions when they wrote Leverage Of Space/Rolling Sly Stone off the live album too as well as some other tracks that never saw release or leak... one called 'Desiree' springs to mind. Anyway these are both amazing tracks.
Bunker Hill is probably my favourite of the two; starts off with a drum n bass rumble similar to ..Television but turns into a surprisingly upbeat 'stoatin about town' mood with a total 'not-a-care-in-the-world' chorus and kick ass thudding breakdown too with general drummery though the full thing is flooded with rattlin' toms and hi-hat whispers think there's even some cheeky bongos on site too! (Chad Smith really is an unstoppable octopus of a man!) I really like JF's backing vocals on this one as well! Gives 'Otherside' a run for it's money ;)
Eskimo is more of a solemn affair with keyboard trimmings...it has a sort of sly sadness. With its bluesy bass-line and JF playfully picking warmly in the background. A seemingly peaceful chorus drifts before a thundering crash and AK shows himself in full form and belt's it out supremely before JF rips into his guitar with a screaming solo before ending with a bit of Flea on trumpet, a nice closing.
My gran was saying "I havent heard anything from the RHCP in ages!!" and she's right it's essentially been three years now, which is a scary fuckin thought indeed. The last real single was probably hump de bump but it never really got all that much attention...Desecration Smile came and went virtually unnoticed, with its stupid video of them hugging and miming and Chad looking scarily older and out of place I remember.
So c'mon chilis get back in the game! Last I heard Flea was teachin, Chad Smith's joined Chickenfoot...which is kindve worrying. JF released The Empyrean which I checked out a bit on youtube the other night....cementing in my mind that his solo stuff isnt definitely really my thing it seemed to have a lottve 'piss-about' piano on it and a monotone glumness that I just couldnt be bothered with at all...unfortunately. I want new Chilis NOW but! And none of these fuckin about with George Clinton tracks either, with his shrouds of black children singin in the background, just come back to my heart RHCP!!
ALSO - Some word on the BLS front... theyre touring USA just now, then ZW is going to 'knock out some tracks' for the new Oh...zzzzzz...y album. Just that expression "knock out some tracks" just sounds like he has nothing in the bag except his same old bullshit riffs and harmonics...in fact let's just wait and see how many harmonics he actually does I bet it'll be like 5, per second. Or he'll have his own track called 'Put you in Harm(onic)'s Way' and it'll just be a looped track of a harmonic for 3 minutes with Ozzy going 'AAAAAAHHHHH' so essentially what weve come to expect from Ozzy nowadays.
After the album hes going on a full tour with Ozzy (and BLS supporting) around the world...around the world basically saying...NOT Scotland so I'm sure that'll be riveting but the main thing I aimed to bring from this was if youre expecting any NEW BLS soon, keep dreamin, or you could buy 'Skullage'! Oh...you already have all those songs? Oh yeah, thats right, theres no actual point in it at all.
Fuck you sometimes Zakk Wylde.
Oh yeah, Maiden-wise! I read a new interview with Adrian Smith which didnt really say that much only that if Maiden WAS to finish up after this last(?) album then they would all carry on...they being Adrian...and probably Janick with Bruce solo and to me, if theres no Maiden then I'll gladly take that over fuck all!
But yeah, new Maiden album is definitely at the forefront of his collective mind so they need to work on the tracks and go in and record it and get it out for the undying fans ie. me. But he says he hopes to get into the studio ASAP! Which kinda worries me a bit that it might be rushed and they come out with a bunch of so-so songs...but in realistic reality it's MAIDEN theyre so 'AWESOME!' dont comphrehend the word AVERAGE ;)
Bye!
PS. MAIDEN: FLIGHT 666, 21st of April!
DONT FORGET ;)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment